Austin Business & Music: Loud, Proud, and a Little Weird | Our SXW2O Spotify Playlist: 2016 Edition
Austin means music, tacos, and innovative new ideas (AKA “weird”), and our SXW2O events definitely incorporate all of these. But when it comes to great local music in particular, our Austin office employees are passionate fans. To make the perfect local playlist, we asked these local music experts to curate their favorite tracks from Austin artists.
Check out the Geekaque playlist on Spotify here.
We’re also beyond excited about our 2016 SXW2O artists (some local, all awesome) we’ve lined up for our events:
- At our annual PreCommerce Summit Reception, we were lucky enough to hear some mellow tunes from The Autumn Defense, a side project for WILCO band members Pat Sansone and John Stirratt. Thanks to our premier sponsor Bayer for bringing them down to Austin!
- Texas’s “original recession era string band” Hot Nut Riveters provided some Southern Hospitality at our Digital Brunch, led by Guy Forsyth.
- We’re especially excited for tonight’s Geekacue lineup featuring Black Pistol Fire and Red Bull Select band Not in the Face, both of which cnall Austin home. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation!
- Lionel Menchaca – Director, Corporate & Strategy
Artist: Willie Nelson, Song: Whiskey River
- How long have you lived in Austin? Hard to believe, but I’ve been here just over 25 years.
- What is your role at W2O? I work with our team to help clients implement digital tools in everything from internal communication and collaboration, external communication and issues management, and how to empower employees through advocacy programs.
- Why did you pick this song/artist for our playlist? It’s Willie. He’s a Texas legend who calls Austin home. I chose that song because it’s the one that makes me think of Willie more than any other. There’s a reason why he uses it to start the set of his live shows.
- #WhyAustin? So many reasons. The great live music scene, the cool outdoor options, great events like SXSW, Austin City Limits Music Festival, the food: Franklin, La Barbecue, Fonda San Miguel to name a few favorites, and the people.
- Favorite Taco: Hard to list a favorite, but Taco Deli is my go to place for tacos. Hard to go wrong there.
Darron Davis – Art Director
Artist: Shapes Have Fangs, Song: Dinner in the Dark
- How long have you lived in Austin? 9 years
- Why did you pick this song/artist for our playlist?: This album reminds me of the time I volunteered for SXSW in 2010. I saw them play at a tiny venue on Red River called Beerland. They were insanely loud and enjoyable.
- #WhyAustin? Austin is a progressive city where you can still carry a pocket knife without getting side-eyed.
- Favorite Taco: The Smoked Brisket Taco at Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ
Angie Gette, Senior Director Strategy & Insights
Artist: Wood & Wire, Song: Anne Marie
- How long have you lived in Austin?: 8.5 years
- Why did you pick this song/artist for our playlist?: Tons of energy and pure folk spirit. Love seeing this band live. Check them out!
- Favorite Taco: Migas from Veracruz- can’t believe how good they are!
Colleen Hartman, Group Director, Social Commerce
Artist: Tameca Jones, Song: Hot and Bothered
- Why did you pick this song/artist for our playlist? Tameca Jones is a sassy Austin staple. Follow her on social to get a taste of her spunk. Whether she is playing Austin City Limits Music Festival or a small venue, her presence overflows. She is currently highlighted as part of Austin Monthly’s 10 Bands to Watch. Be sure to catch her for free during SXSW for KUTX Live at the Four Seasons on March 19th at 8am.
- #WhyAustin? For me personally? As a child, I spent a lot of time each summer with my grandparents in Dallas. They took me all over Texas and loved the unique culture. After living many places in my adult life including a stop in Waco home to Baylor University, my family unanimously wanted to move to Austin. As a then W2O client, when the opportunity came to join the agency, I was thrilled especially with the opportunity to move to Austin. The rest is history with my new “forever hometown.”
- Favorite Taco: The steak taco from Veracruz All Natural’s food truck. It’s hard to eat other tacos once you’ve had anything from Austin’s best taco spot. (Migas and fish tacos are amazing too.)
- How long have you lived in Austin? We’ve lived here for ten years. I told my daughters when we moved here that when we reached ten years, we could start to call ourselves Texans. In our case, we say we’re “Jersey Texans”, a rare breed.
- What is your role at W2O? I spend most of my time with clients discussing what is important to their business or working with our teams to talk through how we build or refine our models. The role is President, W2O Group. My mission is to ensure our clients build unique advantage and succeed and our team members at W2O learn and grow professionally every day.
- Why did you pick this song/artist for our playlist? Black Pistol Fire is symbolic of Austin. Originally from Toronto, now splitting time between Canada and Austin. Austin just has a magnetic draw for innovators to head down here and never leave. And, I love rock ‘n roll and these guys know how to have some fun.
- #WhyAustin? I came here to work at Dell and our family fell in love with Austin. I love how supportive the community is of each other, whether you are an entrepreneur or you have fallen on hard times. Austin is a city with a soul.
- Favorite Taco: There is a small stand one block from our office behind a building that has amazing breakfast tacos. Few know it is there. Small stand. One woman who runs it. Amazing tacos and the hottest sauces around.