Interview Series: Mike Hartman, Former Executive Creative Director at LBi
With all of the hiring W2O Group/WCG have done recently, we wanted to take a little time to let our partners/customers/employees get to know some of these new employees better. To that end, we are kicking off a blog series that asks each of our new employees to answer five questions — some straightforward and some that show our more playful slide. Via this process, we’re hoping to give our readers a little better sense of who we are. The third interviewee in our series we talk to veteran creative leader, Mike Hartman, who joins as Chief Creative Officer of W2O Group.
- [Aaron] Mike, welcome to the W2O Team. We’re looking forward to working with you.For our first question, talk a little bit about your past experience.
[Mike] At LBi, I served as Executive Creative Director, where I focused on growing our orth American presence as well as launching LBi’s health and wellness practice globally. Prior to that, I led digital creative for WPP’s Chemistry cross-agency team assembled to service Johnson & Johnson.
- [Aaron] What is your “super power?”
- [Mike] I’ve actually got two. Awesome, right? An EQ that fortunately/unfortunately picks up every signal! And a heightened sense of smell from spray painting an engine in a closed space… fried my sinuses… mind-shattering headaches that gave way to a super sense of smell…
- [Aaron] If you could work with any company as a client, who would it be and why?
- [Mike] Harley-Davidson. Iconic, monster of a brand — with an incredible fan base of enthusiasts, loyalists, advocates (I’m all of the above!) — that has transcended the sounds and smells of the past and evolved through research, product development, finally jumping into marketing and cultivating intersecting cultures.
- [Aaron] How do you stay up to date on latest trends/industry news?
- [Mike] I’d say many of the usual ways, such as Twitter, Contagious, Mashable, Wired, Creativity … but also one that’s hard to replicate: my personal network and the curated content that we share with each other. Lots of smart people sharing everything from cutting edge tech to art and poetry.
- [Aaron] Finish this sentence… “The agency of the future is ____?”
- [Mike] Smarter. Flatter. Blended. Insight is the foundation. Analytics the measuring stick. But ideas reign. Because other than extraordinary talent, ideas are the only things left that cannot be commoditized.