CommonSense Blog

Looking for the 1 and 9 Percent

By Megan Svensen | Aug 02, 2013

Recently I decided to see how my physicians ranked in the 1-9-90 model of influence: the Influencer 1% who create content online, the 9% of Active Engagers who create their own influence by sharing and repackaging content online or the 90% majority who consumer the information from the other 10% by listening and learning.

The reason for this research was as much professional as it was personal. As we look to identify the next generation of HCP influencers, finding the 1% and 9% is as important for Communications professionals as it is for medical and brand teams. My colleagues at W2O have created MDigital Life, a proprietary analytics tool for understanding these influential healthcare professionals. The beauty is that once you understand the language, rhythm and attitudes of these physicians, you can formulate the best approach to engaging and activating them.

But who “owns” the relationship with these physician influencers? While this role has belonged traditionally to Medical and Brand teams, I think Communications professionals have an opportunity to lead with this new wave of online physician influencers. It’s new territory for many in pharma, but Communications should go beyond its usual supportive role with physicians to partner with Medical and Brand teams to connect these influencers to your company’s ecosystem. That’s because Communications is the prime mover when it comes to:

• listening to social media
• responding to media
• proactively communicating in the “currency” of online influencers: news

Communications is uniquely suited to leading the way, and it’s time to embrace this exciting new frontier. What do you think?
PS –As for my own physicians, they are with the 90% majority who are listening and learning from the new breed of physician influencers.

Post written by Megan Svensen