When I joined W2O Group in 2009, Jim Weiss said to me that I should write a book about the future of digital marketing and communications. We talked about it a lot and what I realized is that I should write a series of books over time that reflect what we’re learning from our clients and our teams. If you’re working with the most innovative people in an industry, the answers about what’s next are literally right in front of you.
This thinking led to the creation of PreCommerce, which came out in March, 2011.
PreCommerce centers around a very important and simple concept. Less than 1% of the time we spend online for our entire lives will be transactional and involve ecommerce. The other 99% is referred to as PreCommerce – a time where customers make their own decisions to buy or support a brand before and after the transaction, with or without a company’s involvement. Our life’s work is to create the algorithms and models that give light to what is happening in our PreCommerce world. Whether it is reaching influencers, generating ideas, improving customer experience or transforming the internal mindset of your team, the book touched on what was important to be successful.
Today, nearly five years later, the concepts and models in PreCommerce are more relevant today than they were even a few years ago.
During this time, I’ve been obsessed with what’s next beyond PreCommerce, the world of influencers and all we’ve done to shape conversations and behaviors. Once again, our clients and our teams provided a series of answers that will reshape how we market and communicate in the years ahead.
The next book in this series is Storytizing, which is centered on how the marketing model (paid, earned, shared, owned) will flip on its head due to the birth of audience architecture. The combination of technology advance, analytics expertise and a need to improve outdated models is leading to a new way to identify, architect and then learn from the specific audiences you care about. If you can listen to what 25,000 cardiologists are thinking and doing online or what your customers are saying online or what your next million customers think, it changes how you prepare for the market.
It means that earned and shared media are becoming the lead dogs in how we shape a market and paid is still important, but it will start to be used far more strategically and at far less expense for our clients. In addition, with our knowledge of how our audience really works, we can start to see new ways to deliver our story across the full ecosystem for a target audience. What this means is we will consider broad-based advertising to be less impactful with time and we’ll look for ways to pull our story through multiple channels to penetrate our full audience. We’ll be Storytizing.
Storytizing looks at how search, media, issues management, corporate reputation and other models of communications and marketing will have to evolve as a result. It’s important in this book to take the time to look at each area in some level of depth to understand why this change is occurring.
Just like PreCommerce, Storytizing is also filled with awesome advice from 15+ leaders who share their thinking in side bars in nearly every chapter. Whether it is Jeff Arnold, Chairman of Forbes Travel Guide or Rick Kaplan, who has 47 Emmies and was president of CNN or Natalie Malaszenko, CMO of Overstock.com, you will gain keen insights that further illustrate what is ahead of us.
Storytizing will serve as a roadmap of how our world will evolve over the next 3-5 years. It will be out March 10, 2016 to coincide with our PreCommerce Summit right before SXSW.
It’s a lot of fun to share how our world is changing right in front of our eyes. We see it every day through our work and it’s nice to step back now and then and realize how profound the changes actually are.
Hope you enjoy Storytizing, which is now available for pre-order on Amazon.com.
Enjoy, Bob Pearson